Saturday, January 14, 2006

Movies and the factories...

Homeward bound
I wish I was
Homeward bound
Home, where my thought’s escaping
Home, where my music’s playing
Home, where my love lies waiting
Silently for me

Everyday’s an endless stream
Of cigarettes and magazines
And each town looks the same to me
The movies and the factories
And every stranger’s face I see
Reminds me that I long to be

simon and garfunkel sung these lines many years ago and these have been ever since my companion. as a person who always needs a home away from home and who rarely gets to go home and now as it looks forever condemned to the world of factories, i think movies have been my refuge. in this dhaka city where one doesnt get to catch a good movie in a good cinema hall the substitute is not a bad bargain. plethora of pirated DVD shops ( you wont beleive they have one in the international chain hotel Sheraton lobby also !!) makes living a bit easier.
so this eid week i have treated myself to some movies and 2 of them i have been trying to watch for a long time now.

one was Fried green Tomatoes. this intriguing title had been in my mind ever since some movie buff slipped it into one of the dumb charade sessions. finally i caught the magic of this simple southern story. a tale of 2 friendships in different generations told thru disrupted narration in multiple nursing home visits. what stands out is the human emotion and bond of friendship that gets forged based on simplicity of life.

the other was House of Flying daggers. this is one Chinese movie and as many of them are famous for the action typified by crouching tigers genre ( same as our bollywood is typified by dance and music) this too is a kung fu action movie but woven on a love triangle. what stands out is the visuals that director has been able to conjure and present. the actors seem to fit in so beautifully thru their performances in this beautifully crafted movie.

these two movies somehow unravel the secret of great cinema. It has to have great visual spectacle or that emotional bond with audience to move them beyond themselves.

moved i am ....